The Snelson DataBase & Armory includes references from sources at St Catherine’s House in London during 1969-1971 and during my activity here in Sydney at The Society of Australian Genealogists where I served on the Council for many years – and was the a founder (along with Max Carrick and Phil Young) of the Sydney Dead Persons Society.
Much knowledge was gleaned from parish registers of births, deaths, marriages, christenings and burials. I also spent some time with the IGI fiche (remember them).
Another fruitful source was found in chartularies, tithe maps, land records, wills and other records.
I have wasted more time than I care to remember with the dead than with the living, poring over census records, scrutinising transportation and shipping lists, groveling around churchyards trying to decypher monument inscriptions, looking at land records and corresponding with the guild and the College of Heralds … when Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were still in short pants.
- [S251] Register of Freemen City of Chester 1910-40 on MFR/17
- [S252] Apprenticeship Registers (MAB) Chester 1819-1857
- [S261] Letter from Sue Hewitt dated 22 April 1991, Source Element: R3-5014
- [S262] Letter from Eileen Simpson dated 30 September 1990
- [S263] Register of Freemen 1941-71, Source Element: R3-2071
Memo: Annotation: Register of Freemen 1941-71
21 Apr 1961 Roger Snelson 19 Vicarage Road, Hoole, Chester, Clerk. Admitted as
son of Edward Snelson who is a son of Edward Snelson who is a son
of Robert Snelson who was a grandson of William Snelson who was a
son of William Snelson, Farmer made free 30 March 1810.
- [S289] Audlem Register 1675-53 in p36/1/2,1 on mf 107 5 Nov 1663 M. John Snellson and Frances Ravenscroft.
- [S292] Gresford Baptisms 1688-1703, Memo: Annotation: Gresford Baptisms
p.19 1688 Jan 19 William Snelston
p.22 1692 Oct 9 William Snelson
p.23 1695 May 27 Jane Snelson
p.26 1697 May 10 Anne Snellson
p.30 1700 February 16 William Snellsonne
This is almost certainly an erroneous entry. It should perhaps read John
Snelson who died in infancy and was buried 30 March 1701 ( see p.84 Gresford
p.32 1702 Sep 6 Thomas Snellson
p.34 1704 Jul 14 Barbera Snellson
p.36 1706 Aug 12 James Snellson
All eight children are the children of William of Gwersyllt
p.20 1690 Nov 12 Margarett Edwards dau of Thomas of Gwersylt
p.33 1703 December 5 George Snelson base son of George of Gwersyllt, labourer
( who may be the brother of William of Gwersyllt ).
- [S293] Letter from Marjorie Ward ( nee Snelson )
- [S294] Letter from Blue Mountains City Library 3 April 1990, Source Element: R3-2901
- [S295] NSW Probate Indexes 1905-46
- [S296] Death Certificate - Frank Snelson 1929, Source Element: R3-2132
- [S297] According to Cicely Ida IFE ( nee Probert )
- [S304] Chester, St. Oswald, Baptisms 1745-50
- [S349] Nantwich Burials 1653-1700 ( Nil ), Source Element: R3-2193
- [S351] Will of John SNELSON ( d. 1917 ), Source Element: R3-2195
- [S352] Will of Richard SNELSON ( d. 1921 ), Source Element: R3-2196
- [S353] Will of Frank SNELSON ( d. 1929 ), Source Element: R3-2197
- [S354] Marriage Certificate - William Snelson 1881, Source Element: R3-2202
- [S355] Marriage Certificate - John Snelson 1860
- [S356] Death Certificate - Peter Richard Snelson 1908
- [S358] Letter from Liverpool Record Office dated 28 July 1989 Interment Orders
Feb 22 1895 John Roby 61 Years Watchmaker 72 Leopold Road Purchaser Mrs. Ellen Roby, Widow, same address
March 26 1908 Fred Foster Roby 33 Years Barman 11 Jubilee drive
Feb 1 1908 Ellen Roby 72 Years 42 West Derby Street
May 26 1955 Alfred Herbert Roby 82 Years 18 Elm Vale, Source Element: R3-2213
- [S359] Marriage Certificate Mary Margaret Browne Snelson 1885, Source Element: R3-2215
- [S360] Will of Ann Snelson (nee Egerton ) d. 1890
- [S361] Birth Certificate of Harold Alfred Benyon Snelson 1883
- [S362] Marriage Certificate of Samuel Snelson & Mary Benyon 1872
- [S364] Birth Certificate of Richard Henry Snelson 1873
- [S366] Marriage Certificate of James Snelson & Anne Dixon 1866, Source Element: R3-2225
- [S368] Marriage Certificate of Jethro Clark & Clara Snelson 1886, Source Element: R3-2227
- [S369] Marriage Certificate of Richard Snelson Bridget Donovan 1860, Source Element: R3-2228
- [S370] Will of Peter Richard Snelson ( d. 1908 )
- [S371] Rookwood Monument Inscriptions
106564 John Snelson 21 Mar 1917 75 years 106564 Louisa Janes Snelson 27 Jul 1910 67 years
Plots 470, 471 Inscription "Louisa wife of John" Iron rail surrounds the graves.
- [S372] Immigration Index to Assisted Migrants 1844-59
- [S384] Will of John Snelson ( d. 1924 ), Source Element: R3-2244
- [S385] Will of Thomas Morgan Snelson ( d. 1915 ), Source Element: R3-2245
- [S386] Letter from Joan Betty Snelson
- [S388] Letter from Lorraine Park dated 8 August 1989, Source Element: R3-2322
- [S390] Bishops' Transcripts St. Mary's Alderley Cheshire
- [S392] Census 1851 ( Benyon ) Chester & Environs
Joseph Bennion Head 43 Lab Burton Green, Denb Margaaret wife 30 wife Thyddyn Joshua son 9 Scholar Broughton, Flint Mary dau 6 Sch Broughton, Flint
131 Hawarden Anton Crops Mold Thomas Bennion Head m 34 Smithy Lydia w m 33 Esther dau 13 Mary Anne dau 10 Thomas son 3
Broadlane Township Hawarden Cottage Sarah Bennion Widow 67
Mancott Elizabeth Knight dau of John Chesters Thomas bennion stepson of William Jones 15
53 Pentry William Bennion Head 68 Tailor hawarden Elizabeth w 69 tailor Hawarden William son U 36 tailor Hawarden
- [S393] Phone call from John Nelson Bucholtz 25 September 1989
I was delighted to receive a call from John Nelson Bucholtz ....... although at first we were both struggling to understand why John had a note of my name on the back of an envelope !
Evidently John had come across Joan Betty Snelson in his research and sleuthing at the Bark School in Mudgee. This is all a little muddy at the moment, but we have agreed to exchange information, so all will be revealed soon, I hope.
- [S395] Electoral Rolls Cobar 1906, Source Element: R3-2462
- [S396] Mudgee Graves ( Bucholtz ) In the cemetery on 29 September 1989 I found the following graves :-
Ferdinanda Bucholtz died 30 May 1833 aged 38 John G. Bucholtz died 21 July 1896 aged 29 and our father Frederick Anthony Bucholtz died 26 January 1932 aged 73 years and Fanny Bucholtz wife of the above died 18 August 1939 aged 74 years
Victor Ralph Bucholtz died 21 February 1938
All the above were in the Church of England Section, but just by chance I found in the Presbyterian Section : -
Elsa Bucholtz born 8 July 1913 died 25 January 1988 and Peter Bucholtz born 18 November 1912 died 23 June 1989.
- [S397] Gulgong Graves ( Snelson & Thurston )
John Snelson died 11 November 1926 aged 94
Martha Elizabeth Snelson died 29 May 1919 aged 82
Catherine Snelson died 16 January 1895 aged 34 and Annie Snelson died 27 June 1947 aged 72.
In the second grave found by Gina, James and me on 29 September 1989
"Mother, Father and Sister Clara Isabel Snelson died 20 September 1952 aged 75 and"
Henry Edward Snelson died 11 April 1973 aged 95
Ruth Thurston Snelson died 5 June 1946 aged 21
and Uncle Percival Richard Snelson died 13 September 1954 aged 74. "
- [S398] Debrett's Handbook of Australia
- [S399] Eileen MAXWELL, The Story of Gulgong - Written in Gold, Source Element: ISBN 0 9597274 1, 8
Source Element: R3-2467
- [S400] Cobar Founding Fathers by William Clelland 1984 Vol 7 Western Heritage Series Macquarie Publishing ISBN 0 949734 08 X
Cobar Founding Fathers by William Clelland
- [S401] Yewers Directory of the Landholders of New South Wales 1900
Snelson John, Broad Oak, Gulgong, Wheat, Maize, Grapes, Orchard, Grazier
Snelson Richard, Castlereagh Street, Singleton, Other Crops
- [S402] Letter from Wallace Peter Snelson of Cobar
- [S403] Chelford St. John Baptisms 1693-1826
- [S404] Gresford Parish Registers 1714-1754 and 1740-72, Memo: Annotation: Gresford Parish Registers 1714-1754 (m.) 1714-1772
10 Sep 1721 Snellson William s. William Gwersyllt
29 Mar 1724 Snellson Thomas s. William Gwersyllt
7 Feb 1726 Snellson Elinor d. William Llay
3 Sep 1727 Bennion George s. William
2 Oct 1731 Bennion Jacob s. William
19 Sep 1735 Snellson Edward s. William Llay
16 Nov 1735 Snellson Mary d. William
20 Dec 1736 Snellson James s. James
18 Feb 1738 Snellson William s. James Gwersyllt
12 Jan William Snellson otp & Margarett Edwards otp Banns
23 Oct 1723 Bennion George bur. Pulton Pa of Pulford Ches
2 Oct 1727 Bennion Martha bur. w/o George, Poulton
12 Oct 1727 Bennion bur. d/o John Llay
23 Jan 1729 Bennion George bur. Poulton
9 Aug 1737 Snellson James bur. s/o William Burton
12 Aug 1740 Snelson James bur. Pauper Gwersyllt
3 Jun 1745 Snelson James bur. s/o James Pauper Gwersyllt
20 Apr 1741 Snelson Margaret bur. Burton
24 Mar 1743 Snelson Mary bur. d/o William Burton
6 Jan 1761 Snelson Sarah bur. Burton Green
12 Apr 1748 Snelson John chr s. William LLay
1 Sep 1745 Snelson Mary d. William Llay
7 Dec 1747 John Morgan, Wrexham & Mary Snelson otp
30 Jan 1742 William Snelson & Sarah Davies
- [S405] Prestbury St. Peter's Marriage Registers, R3-2566
- [S406] Letter from Ven L.P.Turner Parish of St. Paul, Cobar
- [S407] Birth Certificate of Edith Louisa Snelson, Source Element: R3-2571
- [S408] Birth Certificate of Harry Clifton Snelson, Source Element: R3-2572
- [S409] Death Certificate of George Herbert Snelson, Source Element: R3-2573
- [S410] Death Certificate of Richard Snelson, Source Element: R3-2576
- [S411] Letter from Mudgee Shire Council dated 16 October 1989
- [S412] Marriage Certificate Caroline Henrietta Eleanor Snelson, Source Element: R3-2579
- [S413] George Ormerod, History of Cheshire (R3-2583)
- [S414] Wills at Chester 1545-1780 FONS
- [S415] James Hall, A History of the Town and Parish of Nantwich, Source Element: E.J. Morten, Didsbury, 1972
Source Element: ISBN 0 901598 24, 0 Snelson Edmund p.304, p. 352 Snelson Elizabeth p.376 Snelson Thomas p.338 Snelson William p.338
p304 Edmund Snelson presented and sold a small book of Metrical Psalms and Hymns for occasional use in Public Worship. He also printed 4 sermons delivered by John Smith B.A. vicar 1769-1792.
p352 Burials 13 July 1798 Edmund Snelson stationer and printer.
p.376 Rev John Latham licensed curate of Nantwich at an annual stipend of œ40 ( forty pounds ) on 25 September 1796. He was educated at Queens College Oxford ----- 1798 12 April John latham Clerk of Nantwich and Elizabeth Snelson married.
Eldest son Edmund bap 2 April 1799 James son d. 1 Jun 1824 aged 21, John Latham Rev d. 26 Oct 1836 aged 64; Rev John Latham became Curate of Baddely
p.338 bapt. 1580-1 Jan 28 Thomas son of William Snelson of London.
Source Element: R3-2585
- [S416] William Vernon, A Middlewich Chartulary
- [S418] Birth Certificate of Frank Snelson 1905, Source Element: R3-2653
- [S419] Birth Certificate of William Stanley Snelson 1893, Source Element: R3-2654
- [S420] Birth Certificate of Charles James Snelson 1901, Source Element: R3-2655
- [S421] Edward I ( 1272 -1307 ) Edward I: 1272 (ae 33) to 1307. 1m Eleanor of Castille (3s Vd); 2m Margaret of France (2s 1d).
He was a statesman, barrister and soldier who formed a model Parliament which became the established way of running the government. He instituted judicial reforms. He conquered Wales, 1277-1282, and conducted two conquests of Scotland, but not a lasting control.
- [S423] The 'Black Prince', R3-2665
- [S424] The Snellestons of Astle Astle is a village just to the east of Snelson. There a collateral branch of the Snelson family was established in the late 1300's. This was a branch of the lords of the manor or mesne manor of Snelston. The Astle branch appeared in 1401 when a grant was made. Richard del Clough made a grant and deed of Astle lands to John de Snelleston of Over Peover. This John had a son Thomas who may be the same Thomas who in 1408 became or perhaps already was a tenant of Sir John Lavel in Copenhale.
- [S425] Death Certificate of William Snelson 1887
- [S426] Birth Certificate of Frances Jane Snelson ( 1867 )
- [S427] Chester St. Mary Marriages 1809
- [S428] Snelson Marriage Bonds ( EDCB ) 1773-1837
- [S429] Pulford Monument Inscriptions
- [S430] Pulford Register 1755-1805
- [S432] Pulford Baptisms 1813-60
- [S433] Pulford Marriages 1803-1838
- [S434] Pulford Burials 1813-90, R3-2729
- [S436] Gresford Register 1740-72
PD/34/1/70 on Reel 60
p8. 1 Sep 1745 Mary dau William Snelson of Llay
p11 12 Apr 1748 John son of William Snelson of Llay
p. 72 6 Jan 1761 Sarah Snelson of Burton Green
p97 30 Jan 1742/3 William Snellson & Sarah Davies
p100 7 Dec 1747 John Morgan of Wrexham Parish and Mary Snelson of this parish by banns.
- [S437] Gresford Register 1773-1811, Source Element: R3-2732
- [S438] Gresford Baptisms/Burials 1811-20
- [S439] Allington, Hughes & Bate MSS
136 25 Mar 1788 ---------------
Lease of Broad Oak and close called Barn, field, croft, middle moor, gorsty moor etc in Burton, Christian Pate of Cross Howell, parish of Gresford, widow, to John Snelson of Burton, yeoman, for 14 years, rent 105 pounds. N.B. Previous lease was to Owen Gough of Pulford, 25 Jan 1773 ( no 127 ).
139 1 Jun 1820 -------------- Lease of same by Christiana Boydell, widow, to John Snelson of Broad Oak, and Peter Snelson his son, for 21 years, rent 140 pounds.
162 1802-5 --------- Rent accounts of John Snelson with Mrs. Boydell ( note book ).
290 26 Jan 1865 Release of parcel of land called the Gamfords (?) in Gresford to John Randles of Allington, by various parties including
- Peter Snelson of Barnston near Birkenhead farmer
- Robert Snelson of Kingswood farmer
- Richard Snelson of Tarvin farmer.
- [S440] Will of James Snelson of Chester, Baker d. 1838, Proved 1839
- [S441] Will of Peter Snelson of Manley, Gentleman 1831
"my son Edward Snelsonn
"my freehold estate situate in Allington in the county of Denbigh
"Mary Snelson the wife of my said son Edward Snelson
"my brother Joseph Snelson
Executors Peter Snelson of The Broadoak in Burton in the county of Denbigh farmer and Thomas Ashton of Newton in the county of Chester farmer
Dated 28 Dec 1827
Testator died 15 Sep 1830
Proved 24 Feb 1831
- [S442] Will of Joseph Snelson of Alvanley, Yeoman d. Dec 1838
- [S443] Will of John Higginson of Barrow, Yeoman 1790
- [S444] Barrow Marriages 1773
in transcript 929.3/BAR SYN
6 Jun 1773 John Snelson of the Parish of Frodsham; Betty Higginson of Barrow. Licence. Witnesses : Samuel Higginson John Platt.
- [S445] Barrow Baptisms 1773-1790
27 Jan 1774 John s. of John & Betty Snelson 30 Jul 1775 Samuel s. of John & Betty Snelson 5 Jan 1783 James s. of John & Betty Snelson
N.B. Burials recorded together with baptisms. No Snelsons in this period, but the following burial entry noticed by chance :- 22 October 1792 Betty dau of John Snelson
- [S446] Tarvin Baptisms 1776-1782
p9/2/1 mf 58/1 p 13 5 Nov 1778 Hannah dau of Joseph Snelson of Kelsall and Margaret
- [S447] Letter from Marjorie Ward ( nee Snelson )
- [S449] Letter from Arthur Davies dated 10 November 1989, Memo: Annotation: The information supplied by Arthur has led me to conject on whether the Anne Davies who was daughter of John and Susannah was indeed the same Anne who married Thomas Benyon. The dates of death and age match. I wonder ?
- [S450] Letter from Wallace Snelson dated 26 Nov 1989, Source Element: R3-2832
- [S451] Chester Holy Trinity Records
- [S452] Frodsham St. Lawrence - Baptisms & Marriages, R3-2849
- [S453] Barrow Parish Registers 1754 - 1880 St. Bartholomews
- [S454] Barthomley, St. Bartoline, Cheshire
Marriage Registers 1562-1839
13 Sep 1730 Joseph Bateman and Ann Snelson btp lic 7 Aug 1822 George Snelson widower of Nantwich, printer and Dinah Beech licence 6 Jan 1706 Jonathan Snelson & Phebe Astle 26 Feb 1773 Jonathan Snelson of Sandbach & Mary Farr lic 5 Jun 1769 Thomas Glover husb. & Sarah Snelson 4 May 1773 Thomas Snelson, taylor, & Martha Smith
- [S455] Sandgate Cemetery, Newcastle, New South Wales
[:TAB:]Snelson [ S B C ] b. 23 12 1935 ( does this mean "still born child" ? ) Snelson Albert Gordon of Hamilton Flu 18.07.1919 Snelson Anne 01.11.1932 aged 87 Hamilton Snelson Edith 25.07.1908 aged 1 Bala Road Snelson Elizabeth Nellie 23.03.77 aged 77 Roman Catholic, Cardiff Snelson, Esther Maud 26.5.44 aged 58 Hamilton Snelson Ethel May 6 Dec 1948 aged 66 Snelsn James 15.06.05 aged 72 years Snelson Joseph 17.1.07 aged 31 Brunker Road
- [S456] Death Certificate of Thomas Snelson(1853), Source Element: R3-2884
- [S457] Death Certificate of Thomas Snelson ( 1838 ), Source Element: R3-2886
- [S458] Death Certificate of Elizabeth Snelson ( 1853 ), Source Element: R3-2887
- [S459] Marriage Certificate of Margaret Snelson & Robert Rowe 1840
- [S460] Marriage Certiificate of Samuel Snelson & Sarah Roberts 1869, Source Element: R3-2892
- [S461] Death Certificate of Martha Snelson ( 1848 ), Source Element: R3-2893
- [S462] Death Certificate of John Roby ( 1805 ), Source Element: R3-2894
- [S463] Birth Certificate of Briscoe George Alsop Snelson ( 1890 ), Source Element: R3-2895
- [S464] Birth Certificate of Alfred Herbert Roby ( 1873 ), Source Element: R3-2897
- [S465] Birth Certificate of Alice Jane Roby ( 1873 ), Source Element: R3-2899
- [S466] Letter from Ann Maree Longwood date 27 Mar 1990, Source Element: R3-2905
- [S468] Letter from Wallace Peter Snelson dated 5 March 1990
- [S469] Weaverham Marriages : John SNELSON & Catherine PERCIVAL Weaverham Marriages : ( PAR/WEA )
- [S470] Census 1861 Kingswood, Cheshire
f.138r Entry 138 : Common --------------------------
Robert Snelson Head Mar 34 Grocer Cheshire Manley Mary Snelson Wife Mar 27 Cheshire Dunham oth' Hill Edward Snelson Son 2 Cheshire Manley
- [S471] Letter from William Leslie Clarke dated 23 April 1990, Source Element: R3-2924
- [S474] Mary Corns Chart Provided by Marjorie Ward, Source Element: R3-2933
- [S478] Death Certificate of Louisa Matilda Snelson, Source Element: R3-2951
- [S479] Family Tree of Charles Jeoffry Snelson of Oakville Canada, Source Element: R3-2952
- [S480] Burial Authority for Ellen Roby ( Nee Edwardson ) 1908, Source Element: R3-2953
- [S482] Deaths in Victoria 1905 Microfiche, Source Element: R3-2955
- [S483] Letter from Kenneth Andrew dated 4th June 1990
- [S484] Letter from Wendy Aldridge dated 7 June 1990, Source Element: R3-2964
- [S485] Gresford Parish Registers Volume 1 ( Clwyd FHS ), R3-2968, Memo: Annotation: Gresford Parish Registers Volume 1 ( Clwyd FHS ) 1660-1713
- [S486] Gresford Parish Registers ( Clwyd FHS ) 1714 - 1740
- [S487] Gresford Parish Reg Ba & Bu 1742-72, Ma 1740-54 Clwyd FHS, Source Element: R3-2970
- [S489] Letter from James Vernon Cookson dated 13 Feb 1990, Source Element: R3-2974
- [S491] IGI 1988 London
- [S493] Letter from Thurza Snelson dated 6 July 1990, Source Element: R3-3018
- [S494] North & East Cheshire Marriage Index
- [S495] Land Tax Assessments Burton 1778 - 96, Source Element: R3-4900
- [S496] Allington Electoral Registers
QSD/DK/2 Allington /11 1834 --------
Snelson Samuel. Darland. Occupier as tenant of lands at a rent of
fifty pounds per annum - Darland-hall. /24 1837 -------
Snelson Samuel. Darland. Land as occupier Darland Hall
Snelson John. Poulton. Land as occupier, Allington Meadows /48 1841 -------
Snelson John. Poulton. Land as occupier, Allington Meadows
Snelson John jnr as John Snelson, but entry deleted
Snelson Samuel. Darland. Land as occupier Darland Hall. /78 1846 ------
Snelson John. Poulton. Land as occupier, Allington Meadows.
Snelson Thomas. Darland Hall, occupier of land Darland Hall
Snelson Edward. Manley Hall, Cheshire, freehold farm, Samuel Jenkins
- [S497] Burton Electoral Registers 11/1834 ------
Snelson Peter. Broad Oak. Occupier as tenant of a farm and lands at a yearly rent of fifty pounds. Broad Oak. /24/1837 -------
Snelson Peter. Broad Oak. Land as occupier. Broad Oak.
Royle, Vernon Poole. Churton Cheshire. One third part of a moiety of a freehold farm and lands. Broad Oak, Elizabeth Snelson ( tenant ).
/48 1841 -------
Broad Oak. Elizabeth Snelson - tenant.
/78 1846 -------
Broad Oak Farm. Occupier Peter Davies.
- [S498] Will of Peter Snelson of Manley Gent, 1831
per Allington, Hughes and Bate - solicitors
The record recites that Edward Snelson died 12 January 1848 leaving his widow Mary and 8 ( eight ) children. At the time of the making of this deed on the 29 January 1865, the children were
Peter - of Barnston near Birkenhead Farmer
Mary Jane - wife of John Beckett of Ashton Farmer mar 10 Jan 1856
Robert - of Kingswood Farmer
Martha Ann - wife of John Whitlow of Manley Farmer mar 1 March 1860
Richard - of Tarvin, farmer
Sarah Ellen - wife of John Beckett Peel Hall, Kelsall, mar 6 Feb 1863
Edward and Thomas both died under age and unmarried. Mary Snelson died in March 1856. The plot of land involved here was the Gamfords 1a 3r 18p - plot 161 in the tithe apportionment.
- [S499] Tarvin Baptisms 1741-50
In P9/1/3 on Mf 58/1 --------------------
f16r. 13 Jun 1742 Hannah dau of George SNELSON of Dudon & Mary f20v. 24 Nov 1745 Alice dau of George SNELSON of Dudon & Mary
- [S500] Extracts from Boyd's Marriage Index, R3-3117