Things aren't always as they may appear to be, are they ?
John Snelson, that's me – born a long time ago in Liverpool where I lived with my Mum, Dad and brother Peter for more than 20 years.
I went to Joseph Williams primary in Bell Vale where I met Paul McCartney and Mike. I met them again when I went off to the Liverpool Institute High School in 1956.
I left school with 3 ‘A’ Levels - in French, Spanish and Geography and joined the War Department (later the Ministry of Defence) hoping to go overseas and use my languages. Instead, they posted me to The Royal Ordinance Factory in Patricroft where I qualified as a professional accountant with the Institute of Cost and Works Accountants, now the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.
Aged 25 I moved to London to be part of the emerging computer industry and took a position as a Systems Analyst and programmer with ICL (International Computers Limited) in London.
After 3 years with ICL in London, I emigrated to Australia as an adventure with no job - but was soon back doing what I loved, working in an industrial environment on computerised manufacturing and financial systems. I started with CableMakers Australia and then spent 6 years with Comalco becoming Corporate Systems Manager.
In 1979, with 15 years experience in information systems, industrial environments and management accounting, I joined Ernst & Whinney (E&W)'s consulting business as a Senior Consultant and became a Partner in 1984 in the Management Consulting team.
After leaving EY as a senior partner in 2000, rather than being taken over and becoming a nobody in Cap Gemini, I was Chief Executive of a charity, Life Education NSW, following a lead from a senior EY partner.
I worked in New Delhi, India leading a team for the World Bank as Project Director Accounting Reforms (Indian Railways) from 2006 - 2007.
Meanwhile, as a private initiative, in 2001, I conceived the idea of opening a new bank in my community and led the team behind the establishment of a local Community Bank in Turramurra.
I have been involved at a Board level or as the Director, Convenor, Designer or Co-ordinator with the following entities ...
• Director - Southern Cross Connect Pty Limited (Internet Service Provider
• Director - Southern Cross Genealogy (Family History Services);
• Inaugural President - The Rotary Club of Darling Harbour
• Director - The ClaimRoom Pty Limited (Online Dispute Resolution);
• Director - Councillor - The Society of Australian Genealogists (Historical Society)
• Founder and Convenor - The Dead Persons Society Sydney
• Director – Traction Management Services Pty Limited,
• Director - The Royal Exchange (Private Business Club);
• Chairman - Ku-ring-gai Financial Services Ltd (Community Bank);
• Chairman - 2HHHfm 100.1 Radio Station;
• Director, Editor and Chief Photographer - Get Shot Magazine;
• Presenter - Get Shot Radio, streaming live around the world every Monday night at 8-00pm;
• Chairman - 2NSBfm 93.1 Radio Station;
• Vice President - Hornsby & Ku-ring-gai Rural Fire Service Communications Brigade; and
On Tuesday 2nd October, 2007 I was presented with the National Community Award by The Minister for Defence the on behalf of the Prime Minister the RH John Howard, being a Certificate of Appreciation "for outstanding service, contribution and dedication to the community".
In 2011, I launched Get Shot Magazine - to give aspiring journalists an outlet for their work, returning nostalgically to those heady days when he was a Member of The Cavern Club '61-'63, where I saw The Beatles perform more than 50 or so times when they were just a great covers band, in the days of Pete Best, long before Ringo, Brian Epstein, before they ever wrote a song or made a record. Magic days indeed.
In my spare time, I took up genealogy as a hobby in 1970, and have been looking in vain for treasure, nobility, deeds of daring, adventure, achievement, fortune and royalty in his lineage but alas have only found a family of bogans, derros, agricultural labourers and rustic clods. I compiled and maintain the global Snelson DataBase & Index.
FCMA Fellow Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.
CGMA Chartered Global Management Accountant
CPA Member Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants