The Snelson DataBase & Armory includes references from sources at St Catherine’s House in London during 1969-1971 and during my activity here in Sydney at The Society of Australian Genealogists where I served on the Council for many years – and was the a founder (along with Max Carrick and Phil Young) of the Sydney Dead Persons Society.
Much knowledge was gleaned from parish registers of births, deaths, marriages, christenings and burials. I also spent some time with the IGI fiche (remember them).
Another fruitful source was found in chartularies, tithe maps, land records, wills and other records.
I have wasted more time than I care to remember with the dead than with the living, poring over census records, scrutinising transportation and shipping lists, groveling around churchyards trying to decypher monument inscriptions, looking at land records and corresponding with the guild and the College of Heralds … when Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were still in short pants.
- [S1297] Email from Brian Snelson, Source Element: Brian John Snelson, email address, 19 Mar 1998
- [S1299] Email from Neil Snelson, Source Element: Neil Gordon Snelson, email address, 18 Mar 1998
- [S1300] Email from Ronald J. Snelson
- [S1302] Margaret Webb (Howitt), Source Element: Newton-le-Willows
- [S1303] Richard reported the year of death to be 1845 not 1843
- [S1305] Isobel Freda King
- [S1306] Unknown /COOZE/
- [S1307] may have lived with Rosa Snelson in Albury, New South Wales
- [S1308] David Snelson
- [S1309] ( this is entered twice )
- [S1310] there may have been a daughter, Mary
- [S1311] aged 46 in the 1871 census
- [S1312] ( she was aged 33 and unmarried at the time if the 1871 Census )
- [S1313] could have been born in 1845 if the census record is inaccurate
- [S1314] could this be Charlotte rather than Charles ? Edna's chart has Charles.
- [S1316] I am not sure which Rebecca Snelson this is
- [S1317] widow, original maiden name unknown
- [S1321] 'in Service' may mean that she was in the armed forces
- [S1324] acoording to SAG
- [S1325] according to SAG microfiche
- [S1329] William Snelson
- [S1330] Ralph Snelson
- [S1331] Anne Bostock
- [S1334] according to Victorian Marriages microfiche 1854-1895 at SAG
- [S1335] calculated back from the worn sandstone gravestone, so a bit suspect
- [S1336] or possibly 9 July 1786 - B.T.s do not agree with Edna High's chart
- [S1337] by banns
- [S1338] 40 Tennyson Avenue, Turramurra, New South Wales 2074, Australia
- [S1339] I am assuming that this Peter ( 1814 ) is John (1832) 's father
- [S1340] ( signed 'Molsbaury' )
- [S1341] probably related to Victoria Merrell; birth of son Joseph is in the IGI
- [S1342] Parish Records, Hornton, Oxfordshire
- [S1343] IGI Church of Latter Day Saints (unreliable)
- [S1358] Parish Records for Deddington, OXF
- [S1359] Parish Records, Deddington, OXF